Mark J. Welch
PO Box 666
Hayward, CA 94543
Objective: Online Marketing position (in-house, contract, or consulting) focused on ROI.
Experience: Most of my work over the past 12 years involves pay-per-click search and/or affiliate marketing.
- 1997 - 2011: Internet Marketing Consultant. Some specific project examples:
- For a directory web site, I expanded the PPC keyword lists ten-fold and identified ROI measures to set bid limits for each keyword family; substantially increased traffic and conversions, while reducing the $20,000 monthly AdWords spend.
- For a B-to-C e-tailer, I conducted PPC testing before concluding that the merchant's low conversion rate was due to site-design issues and non-competitive pricing. Based on my advice, the client re-launched the site with a new design, better pricing, and an effective affiliate program.
- For an agency client serving auto dealers, I designed and implemented a "pay-per-call" lead-generation system, and tested and optimized pay-per-click advertising campaigns for several large auto-dealer clients.
- I was an active seller through the eBay and Amazon.com marketplaces (initially as part of consulting work for clients, and later for my own profit).
- For several clients, I prepared Strategic Marketing Plans focusing on PPC Search and Affiliate Marketing, after "brainstorming sessions" with each client's key staff.
- I did extensive work for a "print on demand" B-to-C e-tailer:
- I was involved in all aspects of design & implementation of the e-commerce startup;
- Supervised production of first-phase web site and design of more than 3,000 unique posters;
- Managed acquisition and management of large editorial content database and image library;
- Designed and implemented affiliate program and large pay-per-click search advertising campaigns
- Prepared plan for larger web-site development project, database, user interface.
- 2000 - 2001: Chief Strategist for MovieGoods.com, a successful startup e-commerce retailer; included significant roles in:
- Design of web site, and oversight of implementation by outside development firm;
- Development of eBay auction strategy and evaluation of related issues;
- Evaluation, License Negotiation, and Integration of third-party editorial content;
- Successfully designed and implemented profitable marketing strategies;
- Design and management of highly successful affiliate program;
- Design and implementation of very profitable pay-per-click search strategy
- 1996 - 2011: Web publishing and "affiliate-role" work (earning sales commissions from niche web sites and from PPC search activity). In January 2011, I launched LessonIndex.com, a web site directory of literature lesson plan resources for teachers; the site was immediately profitable. (I built a similar site in 2003, which I sold in 2007.) Earlier, I created a directory of "web-site advertising" resources which quickly grew into a highly profitable site (drawing $10,000 per month in advertising revenue by mid-1999). I sold the Adbility.com web site in late 1999, at the peak of the "dot-com" bubble. I also created and managed large "direct-to-merchant" affiliate PPC campaigns.
- Earlier experience: Estate Planning & Probate Attorney (1993-1998); business & litigation attorney (1990-1993); syndicated columnist for legal newspapers (1987-1990); reporter and reviewer for BYTE and InfoWorld magazines (1983-1987); author of a shareware computer game-design system (1985); reporter for daily newspaper; editorial assistant for University Press; mail-order shipping clerk.
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law (J.D., 1989)
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst (B.A., 1983, Journalism / Interdisciplinary [Computer Science])